Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy Valentines Day

I personally felt we actually had a Valentines Day this year. Not that we don't typically do the normal "out to dinner and movie date night" each year for Valentines Day, but this year it was a little different.

It started out a few weeks ago when we started to do the Love Dare study together as a couple. Although we are working on our 18th year together as husband and wife there is ALWAYS room to grow. We have definitely grown together as a couple over the past couple weeks. This study has made us take a deeper look at how we treat one another on a daily basis. Everyone knows you should treat the ones you love with utmost respect and love, however in reality sometimes that isn't the case. Even if your heart is in the right place, and your road is paved with good intentions, if respect and appreciation falls away from a relationship there will be consequences to follow.
Greg and I have studied one another and are re-visiting places in our marriage we have not visited since we were dating or newly married. Sometimes you lose sight after being married for a while of how important the simple things are. Such as greeting each other at the door with a kiss and a smile, TELLING your spouse you love them and why, doing little things for your spouse to show you were thinking of them, and the biggest one of all is to not speak negatively to one another. It is amazing how much negativity is spoken when you are not paying attention. Long story short we are enjoying our study as well as enjoying the time spent making one another feel loved.

Greg and I also participated in a "not so" Newlywed game at church this weekend for 3 services. I was a nervous wreck for nearly 2 weeks prior to our debut, however now that it is over I can honestly say we had a great time. We were on stage with two other couples who are friends of ours and we had a lot of fun on and off stage. Mike Roop was the host of the show and he made the experience feel like a fun game amongst friends. (being played in front of thousands of people) :)
Here are a few of the questions asked:

Wives: what is your husbands dream car? I wrote "Mustang" and Greg wrote "AC Cobra". Little did I know the AC Cobra was made by Mustang and we got the answer right.

Husbands: What is your wife's prize possession? Greg wrote "Bird"...... I was rather surprise because although I do love Doby I am not so sure he is my PRIZE possession. I wrote my photos. :)

Wives: What is the best gift you have ever given your husband? I wrote "our son which I gave him on his birthday".... Greg wrote "dog". We got a pretty good laugh from the audience on that one.

Wives: what is your husbands favorite meal? I wrote "Chicken Enchiladas" Greg wrote "cheesy chicken roll up things".... more laughs and the judges let us have it. :)

Husbands: What is the first movie you and your spouse saw together? We both wrote Bird on a Wire.

Husbands: What time is it when your spouse leaves the house? Time to clean? Time to party? or time to nap? Greg and I both wrote nap.

We won 2 out of 3 services and it was a lot of fun. I think our luck came from the shirts we purchased from the Christian Book Store... mine said "I love my husband" and Greg's said "I love my wife" :) This game gave us the opportunity to reminisce about our first date and when we first met. I couldn't think of a better way to spend Valentines weekend.

Due to our crazy schedule this weekend we were not able to have our traditional Valentines Day family dinner until Sunday night. Every year since Leslie was very young I have taken conversational hearts and glued them to the outside of our glasses to decorate the table for Valentines Day. It is something that has stuck (literally) and now it just isn't Valentine's Day if we don't drink red Kool aid out of our glasses with hearts glued to them. We had our traditional Lady and the Tramp romantic meal of spaghetti and meatballs by candle light with our conversational glasses :). This year my dad joined us since he and Greg went gun shopping together earlier in the day. We were blessed with his presence at the table this year which made it all that more special.

Here is a picture of our Valentine's Dinner last year... this year looked very similar. :)

To top it off Greg and I have reservations at the Melting Pot tomorrow night for our romantic dinner for 2.

I sat this weekend during prayer with the worship team before the services and thanked God for the blessings of Love He has given me. I am married to a wonderful man whom I fall in love with all over again each day. I have watched my grandmother's and my father lose the love of their lives not to mention numerous friends who have lost their spouses and yet I still have mine. (Today would have been my grandpa Hoff's 86th birthday) I never want to take Greg for granted or to think or speak an unkind word to him. I have been to funerals for friends who have lost their children, some before they were even born, and yet I have 2 beautiful loving children whom I love with all my heart. I never want to take my time with anyone I love for grated. Life is so precious and 0ur time here on earth is so short; all God asks of us is to love one another. I believe this Valentine's Day has been a soul searching Valentines Day for me.... I have many in my life that I love and I thank God every day for each of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment