Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Definition of a snow storm

Since I wrote my last blog entry I started reading this book. In the first chapter of the book I read a paragraph I think should be the definition of snow storm if you were to look it up in the dictionary.

Here is the paragraph:

There is something joyful about storms that interrupt routine. Snow or freezing rain suddenly releases you from expectations, performance demands, and the tyranny of appointments and schedules. And unlike illness, it is largely a corporate rather than individual experience. One can almost hear a unified sigh rise from the nearby city and surrounding countryside where Nature has intervened to give respite to the weary humans slogging it out within her purview. All those affected this way are united by a mutual excuse, and the heart is suddenly and unexpectedly a little giddy. There will be no apologies needed for not showing up to some commitment or other. Everyone understands and shares in this singular justification, and the sudden alleviation of the pressure to produce makes the heart merry.

Isn't that perfect?? I knew I loved snow days, but I couldn't really put my finger on why. I knew I loved the kids being home with me but there was always more to it. Now I know it is because my heart is giddy and merry due to the release of expectations, commitment and schedules. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment