Monday, August 1, 2011

Destin Day 3 ..Flocks, Fudpuckers and Floods


Today I was the first one to hit the beach and take pictures...

 


 




 
We saw clouds in the distance so we didn’t set up the cabana for a beach day. 


I decided to walk the beach and spend some time with the sea gulls.  I took WAY too many pictures of sea gulls, but I enjoyed spending time with them and watching them interact as a flock.  I felt people nearby thought I was a little nuts, it’s not like I would be seeing them again after this week so what do I care? :)








This little guy really thought he was a sea gull... and they all treated him like he was part of the flock.


I came home just in time to say goodbye to the guys as they headed out the door to go up to the boardwalk to take some pictures.  They were out the door maybe 10 minutes and the heavens opened up and it poured.  They all three (Greg, Anthony and Jonah) came home soaked with cameras tucked under hats. 

We then had to become creative as to what to do for the day since the beach was out of the picture.  It started to clear up so we thought maybe we could squeak out an hour in-between rain showers and go Jet Skiing.  Each time we mentioned Jet Skiing the heavens would open up again and start to pour.  It became clear to us today would NOT be the day to Jet Ski.

We went to Fudpucker’s instead for lunch.  

This restaurant apparently has world famous T-shirts and Greg’s dad has asked if we could pick him up one.  He used to have one years ago and it became too old to wear.  We figured since we were stopping in to purchase a T-shirt we should have lunch too.  We also purchased a tree frog to sit on our TV stand at home.  We always purchase a little something from each vacation to sit around the house to remember our trip.  Tree frog from Fudpucker's was it this year.

Food was good and the atmosphere was fun. 

 

People had signed their names on every inch of this restaurant, including the leaves on the plants outside.  They had random stuff stapled to the ceiling and old MTV videos playing on the flat screen TV’s.
After we ate our food we went outside to see the live alligators.  


 


There was a little boy around the age of 6 who really enjoyed sharing with us all he had seen while watching the alligators.  Apparently there was an alligator attack between 2 alligators and he was pretty pumped up about it.  He told me about it, then he told Greg....

and then he told Nick and Jonah. .....


He was pretty cute.  I think his mom thought I was a stalker because I was taking pictures of them.

Les and Anthony were sad to leave Fudpucker's.... 



 
Leslie especially enjoyed the name of the restaurant.  She said it made her feel uncomfortable and she would like for us to call it something else because she felt eventually someone would slip up and flip the letters.  We called it Grandpa's place the rest of the time since we went there to buy him a T-shirt.

After lunch we needed to find some wifi because our condo owner apparently lives under a rock and does not have any kind of internet access in the condo.  This was one very important thing I forgot to ask about while making our reservation.  We stopped off at a Panera and everyone caught up on their Facebook, checked email, and Leslie downloaded a virtual fan.  She couldn’t sleep in the morning after the rest of us got up because she said it was too noisy.  We suggested she get up with us but that didn’t go over too well.

Nick and Jonah shopped around in some of the stores in the area.  It was a lot like the Greene.  They came back with gummy lifesavers and sour watermelons.

We again had to make a left hand turn out of the mall area to head back to the condo.  Greg said he was going to remove the bulbs from the right hand turn signals because we obviously do not need them on this trip.  At one point in time we were turning left and across the way 4 cars where in the middle of the intersection trying to turn left as well… it was crazy town.  If I lived in Destin I would never drive anywhere.

Back at the condo Nick and Jonah went for a walk on the beach.  Les and Anthony watched TV, Greg read his Kindle and I blogged about today.  Although we didn’t have our beach day, we still had a great time.  We have never seen it rain so much and for such a long time in Florida.  Water was standing in the streets and in the grass.

We ate frozen pizzas for dinner since we ate out for lunch.  Anthony and Nick argued over which pizza cutter was better, plastic or metal, then realized both were metal.   I ate like a child and had pizza sauce all down my chin, neck and onto my shirt.  Everyone had a good laugh at my expense which is usually the case.  I also was trying to tell everyone we had more cereal in the cupboard than we do milk in the frig but it came out as “we have way a lot of cereal and not a lot of milk”….laughter again from everyone in my direction.  This in turn brought up alllllll the other times I have said things incorrectly.  I told the kids a while ago our bowling ball in the back yard needed to go to the pound.  Not sure why I said pound.. guess I was thinking about how much it weighed?  I meant to say it needed to go to the trash. 

Jonah for some reason was in the closet in the bedroom… we didn’t ask.  Anthony asked if the glass of tea he was holding was his, Greg said to make sure because he didn’t want to get Syphilis.  Nick and Jonah popped tops off of water bottles in all directions.  We discussed how old we all will be on Monday and Nick said he thought I was 30.  I was flattered but then Les said “Nick, she would have had to have had me when she was 11.”  He said “Oh yeah.”  Funny kid.

Greg went upstairs to read more of his Kindle and both Jonah and Nick wanted to climb the outside balcony up to the balcony of our bedroom.  I said absolutely NOT, they both continued to try to convince me it could be done easily by standing on the grill and then climbing up and the promised they wouldn’t get hurt.  I told them if they climbed the balcony Nick would not be allowed to drive until he graduated from college.  He looked at me all serious and said “Why do you hate me so much?”  At what age do they realize their actions have consequences????

I said I felt like I was living in a frat house and decided it was time for bed.  I joined Greg in our upstairs suite to read my Kindle, (not before I went into our bathroom and stomped around a bunch because it was right over Nick and Jonah’s bedroom)   Greg said I was rotten, but I felt justified in doing so.  Nick came upstairs to say good night and to say he loved us.  I thought it was really sweet until I realized he only did it so he could stomp  loudly back down the stairs to get even.  He will get his tomorrow.

The condo is now quiet, the only noise I can hear is the clicking of the keys on my keyboard, the hum of the air conditioning and Leslie’s virtual fan…. Ha ha… just kidding, I can’t hear her fan, she is 2 floors down.

Tomorrow we hope to Jet Ski and if it rains we found a theater and show times for two movies we want to see.  Weather won’t ruin our fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment