Monday, June 15, 2009

Reunited and it feels so good.


Sorry, couldn't help the corny title... I used to love that song.

Anyway, my 20 year high school reunion was this past weekend. I have spent the past 9 months helping to plan this reunion and it was great to see it all come together.

After all the planning, meetings about planning, unmentionable hours on the computer searching for classmates, phone calls, emails, and facebook messages. I can honestly say, after a wonderful weekend, it was all worth it. Not sure my family would agree, but I loved every second of the day and I am sad it was over so quickly.

We started out with a family picnic Saturday from 11am-3pm. We had a great turn out and great weather; it was so fun to see all my classmate's children running around. They looked like mini classmates. :) Everyone brought their own lunches and we provided a big cake for all to eat.







That evening we all met back up at Cena for our evening dinner. We reserved the entire restaurant for the night and it was great fun. I become more and more sentimental about these things as the years go by. We have already lost 2 classmates in the 20 years since graduation and it makes me sad to think of losing more.

Graduating from a private school, we had a small class compared to those in a public school and to me, we all felt like family. I cannot explain how great it was to meet up with these wonderful people and share memories and laugh all night long. Looking at each of them as they walked through the door I could place them with a memory from elementary school, middle school or high school. I have nothing but fond memories from my years at Dayton Christian and I will hold these memories close to my heart.

I think Claire and I look exactly the same don't you??? Well.... maybe Claire. :)




As I looked around the room on Saturday, looking at the faces of these dear people, most of whom I grew up with, I had a very sad feeling come over me. We will be pushing 50 the next time we all get together like this.... how many more will we have lost next time? I love each of these friends. We may not stay in touch and life may lead us in different directions but each of them have a special place in my heart. I have already attended 2 funerals for classmates and one for a classmate's child... I don't want to attend anymore. We are all still 17 in my mind's eye and the loss is very difficult. I said a prayer Saturday night that the good Lord will bless each of us with another 10 years of life and may we all come together again in 10 years with nothing but good times to share with one another.


Back to my family. My family was so gracious and really sacrificed a lot in order for me to make this all happen this past weekend. Not to mention Greg had to attend with me while I ran around playing hostess and visiting with classmates. Good thing Greg has become friends with some of my classmate's husbands so at least he had people he knew to talk to (No one really is a stranger to Greg though... he can make friends standing in line at the grocery) Greg told them all as we were leaving Saturday night that it is nice they could meet and catch up and how very nice it is that they can just pick right up where they left off. :) Such a smarty pants.

Anyway, after saying how fun it was to walk down memory lane and visit with dear friends from my past, it is also nice to have all the planning behind me so I can now focus on my wonderful life in the present. :) Summer is here and I am so blessed to be able to be home with my kids... now I can enjoy this time with them. I am blogging right now because being a mother of teenagers is very lonely in the morning hours..... usually do not have company until at least 11:00am. :)

So, in wrapping up I am thankful for my friends of the past, grateful for the love in my present life and am excited to see what God has in store for us in the future. How fun will it be next time to show graduation and wedding pictures of pictures of our kids... and maybe grand kids? Not me of course... I will be WAY too young for grand kids at the age of 47. :) ha ha.

Class of 89..... we are still lookin so very fine. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment