Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Back to the Future

People who say time travel is impossible obviously didn't have children and have never planned a high school reunion. The past few months I feel I have been in a constant state of time travel.

Last week I met with both our children's counselors/advisors to schedule their freshman/senior classes. Yes, we will have both a freshman and a senior in high school next year. That in itself is messing with my mind a bit.

It is hard to believe our little girl who wore her hair in pig tails at the age of 3 while searching for "rolly polly's" will be a senior in high school.



We spent 2 hours last night at her high school talking to 150 colleges at the college fair. It is very difficult for me to picture her at ANY of the campuses because she is only 6. Seriously... who would send their daughter off to college at such a young age. She is interested in Environmental Sciences as well as Wild Life Biology so we searched out the colleges who offered both programs to keep her options open. We talked to both private and public colleges as well as local and (sniff sniff) out of state colleges. As the song says... "Your future's so bright you gotta wear shades" (which her future is) I on the other hand will be wearing shades to hide my red, swollen, puffy, eyes from crying. I couldn't be more proud of her and it does excite me to see what God has in store for her.

Nick is my baby and he was supposed to grow up extra slow to give me more time to adjust. To think of him as a freshman is mind boggling. He will be following in his fathers footsteps next year in high school. He is starting his freshman year with a lot of IT classes. He will be taking Computer Applications, Digital Art and Design, and Design and Product. He will have the typical Science, English, Math and History too but the computer classes are what he is looking forward to. It should be an exciting year for him. He will have his big sister to show him the ropes and they will ride the bus home together. I was flipping channels the other day and The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh was on. I had a big tug at my heart and I teared up a bit thinking back to the days I had my little man home with me and we spent all day playing with Hot Wheel and watching Pooh (Poof as he would call him). Where does the time go??? I want MORE!



So, back to the past with my flux capacitor......... I am helping to plan my 20 year high school reunion so I have been spending a lot of time in the past. It has been a lot of fun tracking down and catching up with old classmates but it has also been a reminder that I am pushing 40. I truly am not that old in my mind. In fact, when looking up classmates they all look like they did in high school in my mind's eye. Even when I look at pictures of them now I still see that 17 year old I graduated with. The mind is very weird..... or at least mine is. :) I drive around Centerville running errands and will see high school students who at first glance resembles one of my classmates. It takes me a few seconds to say to myself "oh yeah, we are old...that couldn't be her" I am in so deep into the past that I am dreaming about high school and about classmates whom I haven't seen in 20 years.





















I have gone from barely remembering classmates names to knowing where they live. It is good for my mind to have challenges so I welcome it. :) I have dug up old pictures from my senior year which jogs my memory in a wonderful way. I have nothing but fond memories from high school so I am looking forward to seeing everyone this summer.

This flip flop of time travel from the past to the future has been an adventure but I will be happy to live in the present again. Today has enough challenges of its own and juggling all three time dimensions is making me tired. :) Now to find 1.21 Gigawatts. :)

For the 80's generation here is a clip from the past.... click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment