Thursday, March 19, 2009

Autobiography

Nick is in eighth grade this year and this is the year the students create an autobiography. It really is a scrap book of their life up to this point. Leslie made hers 3 years ago before I learned how to scrapbook so we are going to do another one for her for her high school years.

I had a great time working with both kids on their autobiography and it was fun looking through old photos to enhance the stories they had written. It was also fun to compare the writings of the two. Leslie wrote about feelings and memories while all of Nick's memories were of funny times. When asked to write about his feelings as an eighth graders he wrote " What I like about being an eighth grader is each day I am a day closer to getting out of here". I am sure he will receive bonus points for that one... NOT! :)

When asked to write about his mother he could have chose to write about the many times we made cookies or all the times cuddling and watching Pooh. Instead he writes about the time I was freaked out on the Drop Zone at Kings Island and couldn't open my seat belt after the ride was over. Nice! It is so good to see the impact I have had on my children. :)

After it was all said and done it was neat to look at them both and see how well they express each of their personalities.

As a mom, it is really neat to look at your kids and see the differences and similarities in your children.

I love Leslie for her big heart to serve, her faith in God is evident in her life. She is bright and responsible and loves every creature God placed on this earth. Leslie loves to read and take quiet walks. She would take a beach over an amusement park any day. She has many friends but only has a few close friends. She is a loyal friend and you will never hear her gossip about anyone.... even if you don't know them.

I love Nick for his big heart, he will give you the shirt off his back if you need it. (unless you are Leslie....sibling stuff). He is one of the most forgiving people I know and he loves to laugh and make you laugh. He will tease you relentlessly and when you say "Nick, that isn't funny" he will reply "I know... it is hilarious!" He loves to be where the action is and would take an amusement park over a beach or a quiet walk. Nick has a soft spot for animals like his dad but he doesn't have a NEED for them like his mom and sister. :)

I could go on and on about my kids and how much I love them. I feel they received all their good genes from their daddy. Greg is a wonderful man who is a tender daddy to his daughter when she needs it, he knows when to step in and when to step back and give her space. He is cool, rough and tough for his son at the same time, he can spend time with Nick and relate to him like no one else ever could.

Both kids have dedicated songs to their daddy which says a lot about how they feel about him. Leslie, when she was 3 years old, said the song from Cinderella was she and daddy's song... "So this is Love"...(Listen here), they also have Butterfly Kisses (listen here). Nick dedicated the country song "I've Been Watching You" by Rodney Atkins. He used to listen to country music at night as he fell asleep and he heard this song and said "Daddy.... I heard a song about us on the radio last night".( Listen here).

You can see why I cry each time I hear these songs.... so sweet.

Here are some cute pictures I dug up while helping Nick with his autobiography:

Nick keeping an eye on his Daddy


Leslie loving her new baby brother



The Dynamite Duo



Nick admiring his big sister (one of my favorite pictures)


Bozsco loved to dress up for our Christmas Photo


My how they have grown


St. Augustine Florida Alligator Farm



Proverbs 22:6 Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not turn from it.

I think about how much I love my kids often, I think about how there is nothing in this world they could do to make me NOT love them. If and when they make mistakes in their lives I may not like the choices they have made, but I could never love them less.

When I think about this it really puts things in perspective for me about my Heavenly Father who loves me. I have made mistakes, and I am sure He is not happy about my choices at times, but He will never stop loving me. Sometimes I feel so insignificant, how could God truly care about what happens to me? Why in all the universe would He care about the day I am having?

Easter is a bitter sweet holiday for me. Sweet because of the gift of eternal life Jesus gave to me on the cross but also bitter because it forces me to remember the sacrifice and the pain. The pain He endured on the cross for me so I could have eternal life and I struggle with thinking kind thoughts about my fellow neighbor?? I can't spend more time with Him???? As always the parent gets the raw end of the deal.... you give and give and give and sometimes, if you are lucky, you are appreciated. The lack of appreciation is not done intentionally, it is a mind set.... learning to have a grateful heart. I want to appreciate more, I want to give more, I want to BE more. That is my prayer for today.

Wow, I guess making autobiographies and reminiscing has made me rather sappy again today. I will try to be lighter next time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment